Well the first day of vacation was fun. Spent it at BWI. My 2:45 flight to NY was cancelled but Delta didn't bother to tell me until I got to the airport. (later I found a VM on my phone from 1 hour prior to the flight). So they booked me on a flight to Atlanta 4 hours later. Long story short, it was delayed 3 times, the 3rd time making it impossible for me to make my connecting flight. Mother nature just didn't want me to fly yesterday. So after 9 hours at the airport, I headed home.
I did discover a cool Observation Gallery at the airport. It's situated between concourse B and C. It has all these actual plane parts and you can see up close and a pictoral history of aviation in MD. Did you know that Wilbur Wright lived in College Park? After the government bought its first mail planes, Wilbur moved here to train the pilots who were flying out of College Park airport.
The gallery of course has a great view of runways 10 and 28. Not sure why the high numbers - BWI doesn't have 26 other runways, but, as I learned, they use these 2 primarily because of wind optimization. Runway 10 is for take offs, 28 for landings. Should there be abnormal wind shifts, then they would use another. The runways cross in an X pattern so only 1 aircraft at a time coming or going.
So today I venture back to BWI. I'm hoping I get to visit Runway 10 just for a few minutes. Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hope you have less opportunities to learn about aviation history!:)
ReplyDeletelook forward to joining you in 2010!
Tim
I'll never forget the time we spent in the terminal. Mmmm.
ReplyDeleteRachel
runway 28 is compass heading 280 degrees and 10 is 100 degrees P and I are following you!
ReplyDeleteBill